A world with healthy, just, sustainable food practices.
- Support and encourage urban agriculture development and growth
- Facilitate chef and grower community engagement to support food sustainability
- Champion kids growing and cooking their own food with hands-on experience
- Connect chefs with kids, sharing knowledge about growing and preparing meals
- Equip kids with the powerful knowledge they can grow food themselves, anywhere
Since 2005 We Have Supported
Kids engage in the entire food cycle—digging in the soil, planting seeds, harvesting vegetables, learning basic cooking skills. They connect with food, and often serve themselves up second helpings of vegetables they used to refuse to eat!
How it all started
Growing Chefs! becomes a registered non-profit.
The Growing Chefs! Classroom Gardening Program is piloted in 2 elementary school classrooms in Vancouver with 4 chef volunteers.
The volunteer orientation program is developed. 13 chef volunteers deliver the program to 4 elementary school classrooms.
The classroom gardening program pilots in Richmond and Burnaby, BC.
More than 140 chef volunteers and 1420 students participate in the program.
Growing Chefs! becomes a registered charity.
1320 students get hands-on experience growing and cooking their own food.
With your help, we can empty the waitlist and give even more kids hands-on experience that transforms how they think about food.
Download our annual Report
Merri Schwartz - Founder/Chair
Richard Banner - Vice Chair
Colin Haddock - Treasurer
Graham MacLennan - Secretary