Interested in volunteering? Sign up today!
Join other chefs and volunteers to teach kids how to grow and cook their own food!
- The Growing Chefs! Classroom Gardening and Cooking program begins every March.
- Volunteer chefs and community members are put into teams of three.
- With your team, you attend a Volunteer Orientation Session, where you learn basic classroom management skills and review the Growing Chefs! curriculum.
In the classroom
- You and your team are paired with an elementary school classroom.
- You visit your class every two weeks over the course of three and a half months, for a total of seven visits.
- The program runs Monday to Friday mornings. Your team will be scheduled to visit the classroom on the same day and time every two weeks.
- As you mentor the students and help them to grow their own indoor vegetable gardens, you lead the class through a series of lessons.
- The lessons are clearly laid out and outlined in the Growing Chefs! Classroom Guide that you receive at your Orientation Session.
View a sample lesson plan or check out our Classroom Management Tips to learn more about the program. You can also click here to see what restaurants have participated in previous years. Or check out our list of past volunteers.