Grow it Again!
Turn a sweet potato into a beautiful houseplant. It's cheap, simple and fun!
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 glass jar
- enough stones to almost fill your jar
- a small paring knife
- Place the stones in your jar.
- Fill the jar with water to just cover the stones.
- Find a sweet potato that is already growing some roots or buds. If your potato hasn’t sprouted yet, leave it in a sunny place for a few days. You will see little “eyes” start to grow.
- Cut a 5 cm piece from the rounded end of the sweet potato.
- Place the sweet potato, cut side down, in the jar.
- Keep your sweet potato in a sunny place.
- Make sure the bottom of the sweet potato is always under water.
Watch it grow
- After a week, you should start to see roots growing and leaves forming. If nothing is happening, try using an organic sweet potato.
- You can also do this same activity with a turnip, cutting a 2cm slice from the leafy end.